Keeping your Oakley sunglasses clean is essential for maintaining their performance and extending their lifespan. Oakley shades are an investment that you want to protect and care for properly. However, cleaning Oakley sunglasses does require some special considerations compared to regular eyewear.
In this helpful guide, I’ll provide tips and step-by-step instructions to clean Oakley sunglasses safely and effectively. I’ll go over how to remove dirt, dust, fingerprints, grease and other debris without causing scratches or damage. We’ll also discuss special solutions, tools and techniques to clean the lenses, frame and other components.
Proper cleaning keeps your Oakleys looking new, prevents fogging and discoloration, and helps maintain the integrity of the lenses. By following this Oakley sunglasses cleaning tutorial, you’ll be able to remove grime and restore clarity while avoiding common mistakes that can ruin your shades.
Why Regular Cleaning of Oakley Sunglasses is Important
Topics Covered In This Article
- 1 Why Regular Cleaning of Oakley Sunglasses is Important
- 2 Supplies Needed to Clean Oakley Sunglasses
- 3 How to Clean Oakley Sunglasses: Step-by-Step Instructions Guide
- 3.1 Step 1 – Disassemble the Frames
- 3.2 Step 2 – Remove Lens Dust and Particles
- 3.3 Step 3 – Wash Lenses with Soap and Water
- 3.4 Step 4 – Disinfect Frames and Lenses
- 3.5 Step 5 – Spot Scrub with Soft Brush
- 3.6 Step 6 – Rinse and Dry Thoroughly
- 3.7 Step 7 – Remove Lens Scratches
- 3.8 Step 8 – Re-assemble Your Oakleys
- 3.9 Step 9 – Lubricate Hinges
- 3.10 Step 10 – Store in Protective Case
- 3.11 What to Avoid When Cleaning Oakley Sunglasses
- 3.12 How Often Should You Clean Oakley Sunglasses?
- 3.13 Can You Use a Dishwasher to Clean Oakleys sunglasses?
- 3.14 How to Clean Oakley Lenses
- 3.15 How to Clean Oakley Frames
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions About Cleaning Oakleys
- 4.1 Can you use rubbing alcohol to clean Oakley lenses?
- 4.2 What household items can you use to clean Oakley sunglasses?
- 4.3 How do you clean oil and grease off Oakley lenses?
- 4.4 Can you put Oakley lenses in the washing machine?
- 4.5 How do you clean nasal grime off Oakley nose pads?
- 4.6 How do you clean saltwater or chlorine off Oakleys after swimming?
- 5 Conclusion:
Here are some key reasons why you need to clean your Oakley sunglasses regularly:
- Removes dust, dirt, skin oils, sweat and other contaminants that can build up over time.
- Prevents scratches and abrasions by wiping away particles that can damage the lenses.
- Restores optical clarity by getting rid of smudges, smears and debris.
- Protects lenses from deterioration caused by salt, chlorine and other chemicals.
- Maintains hydrophobic and anti-reflective lens coatings.
- Prevents growth of bacteria that can lead to skin irritation.
- Keeps hinges, screws and other parts lubricated and functioning smoothly.
- Extends longevity of Oakley frames, lenses and components.
- Maintains warranty protections.
- Restores appearance and helps sunglasses look new for longer.
Supplies Needed to Clean Oakley Sunglasses
Gather the following recommended supplies before beginning the cleaning process:
- Microfiber cloth or cleaning wipe
- Mild dish soap or specialized sunglass lens cleaner
- Small soft-bristle brush
- Compressed air duster
- Distilled or filtered water
- Silicone-based lubricant
- Soft pouch or case
How to Clean Oakley Sunglasses: Step-by-Step Instructions Guide
Step 1 – Disassemble the Frames
Start by carefully taking your Oakley sunglasses apart at the hinges so you can access all sides of the frames and lenses. This prevents creasing or damage as you clean. Place components on a soft, clean surface.
Step 2 – Remove Lens Dust and Particles
Use a puff of compressed air to blow away any dust, sand or crumbs resting on the lenses or frames. Do this outdoors and tilt the glasses to allow particles to fall out.
Step 3 – Wash Lenses with Soap and Water
Apply a small drop of mild dish detergent or specialized Oakley lens cleaner to the microfiber cloth. Gently wipe the front and back of lenses to lift away dirt, smudges and oils. Rinse under a stream of lukewarm filtered water.
Step 4 – Disinfect Frames and Lenses
Dip the microfiber cloth in isopropyl alcohol, wring out excess liquid and wipe down the frames and both sides of lenses. This kills germs and sanitizes Oakleys after wearing.
Step 5 – Spot Scrub with Soft Brush
Use the soft brush to gently loosen and remove any stuck-on debris around hinges, nose pads and other hard-to-reach crevices on the frames.
Step 6 – Rinse and Dry Thoroughly
Rinse Oakley components under running water again to remove any soap residue. Gently shake off excess moisture and let air dry completely before reassembling to prevent spotting.
Step 7 – Remove Lens Scratches
For light scratch removal, use a lanolin-based Oakley lens polish and buff in a circular motion with a microfiber cloth. Avoid over-polishing lenses.
Step 8 – Re-assemble Your Oakleys
Once fully dry, put your Oakley sunglasses back together by re-connecting the arms at the hinges. Check that nose pads and screws are firmly tightened.
Step 9 – Lubricate Hinges
Use a small amount of silicone lubricant on hinges and screws. This prevents squeaking and preserves smooth motion when opening and closing arms.
Step 10 – Store in Protective Case
Place cleaned Oakleys in a soft pouch or case to protect them until next use. Avoid letting lenses touch other surfaces when storing to prevent scratching.
Tips for Cleaning Oakley Sunglasses Like a Pro
Follow these professional recommendations for the best results cleaning your Oakleys:
- Handle lenses carefully by the edges only to prevent fingerprints and smudges.
- Use only products specifically designed for sunglasses to avoid damage.
- Always spray cleaners onto cloths first before wiping lenses.
- Only use a soft microfiber cloth that is clean and lint-free.
- Blow away dust instead of wiping it to avoid scratching lenses.
- Rinse all soap residue thoroughly after washing.
- Dry lenses completely with a clean soft cloth before storing.
- Avoid contact with harsh chemicals like ammonia, chlorine, acetone.
- Minimize pressure when wiping fingerprints and smudges.
- Clean your Oakleys after wearing to remove skin oils, makeup.
What to Avoid When Cleaning Oakley Sunglasses
To safely clean your Oakley eyewear, never do the following:
- Use household cleaners, paper towels or rough fabrics that can scratch.
- Hold lenses under running water to rinse – moisture can seep behind lenses.
- Place in dishwasher or use hot water which can damage lenses and frames.
- Wear Oakleys in the shower or expose to harsh chemicals.
- Use excessive pressure when wiping fingerprints or dirt.
- Spray liquids directly onto lenses – always apply to cloth first.
- Buff lenses excessively or use circular motions – gently wipe in straight lines.
- Reassemble lenses when wet – always dry thoroughly first.
How Often Should You Clean Oakley Sunglasses?
I recommend thoroughly cleaning your Oakley sunglasses at least once every 1-2 weeks minimum. However, frequency depends on how often they are worn and the conditions you wear them in.
Sunglasses worn daily or in dusty/sandy environments may need cleaning every 3-5 wears. Oakleys exposed to water, sweat and oils will need more frequent cleaning as well.
Always inspect lenses before and after wearing. Clean immediately if you notice smears, fuzz or debris for best results and to prevent scratches.
Can You Use a Dishwasher to Clean Oakleys sunglasses?
No, we do not recommend putting Oakley sunglasses or components in the dishwasher for cleaning. The hot water, harsh detergents and forceful spray can damage lenses and frames.
Oakley lenses have special coatings that protect against UV rays. The dishwasher can degrade these coatings, causing lenses to fade, discolor or lose impact resistance over time.
The excessive heat and agitation can also warp frames, fade logos and graphics, cause delamination or other irreparable damage.
Hand washing carefully with mild detergent is the safest method for cleaning Oakleys and maintaining their performance.
How to Clean Oakley Lenses
Here are some key tips for safely cleaning Oakley lenses:
- Blow off dust first before wiping to prevent scratching.
- Use only microfiber cloths designed for sunglasses.
- Wipe gently in straight lines using minimal pressure.
- Wash with mild soap and lukewarm water – rinse thoroughly.
- Disinfect periodically with rubbing alcohol.
- Avoid circular rubbing motions which can damage coatings.
- Use lens polish sparingly to buff out minor scratches.
How to Clean Oakley Frames
Follow these steps to properly clean Oakley frames:
- Disassemble frames to access all sides and corners.
- Wash with mild soap and lukewarm water.
- Rinse thoroughly – don’t allow soap to dry on frames.
- Wipe with microfiber cloth and air dry fully.
- Spot scrub stubborn dirt with a brush.
- Spray with disinfectant, wipe off.
- Use silicone lubricant on hinges and screws.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cleaning Oakleys
Can you use rubbing alcohol to clean Oakley lenses?
Yes, you can use a microfiber cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol to gently wipe and disinfect Oakley lenses. Make sure to dilute it with water and rinse lenses thoroughly after to remove any residue.
What household items can you use to clean Oakley sunglasses?
You can safely use distilled water, mild dish soap, microfiber cloths and compressed air. Avoid glass cleaners, paper towels, tissues and hard brushes.
How do you clean oil and grease off Oakley lenses?
Gently wipe lenses with mild dish soap and lukewarm water to emulsify and dissolve oil, grease and grime. Rinse thoroughly under running water, then dry with a lint-free microfiber cloth.
Can you put Oakley lenses in the washing machine?
No, do not put Oakley lenses or frames in a washing machine or dryer. The heat, agitation and detergents used can permanently damage them. Hand wash only.
How do you clean nasal grime off Oakley nose pads?
Remove nose pads and wash with soap and water. Use a small brush to dislodge dirt from crevices. Wipe with isopropyl alcohol. Reattach after fully drying.
How do you clean saltwater or chlorine off Oakleys after swimming?
Rinse Oakleys immediately after exiting pool or ocean. Wash lenses and frames thoroughly with soap and water to remove salt and chlorine, then air dry completely before storing.
Caring for your Oakley sunglasses properly by keeping them clean maximizes performance, protects your investment and maintains eye safety. Follow this comprehensive cleaning guide to remove contaminants, prevent scratching and keep your Oakleys looking crystal clear.
With the right techniques and solutions, cleaning Oakleys is simple. By regularly removing dirt, dust, fingerprints, chemicals and oils, you’ll be able to preserve optical clarity and extend the life of your Oakley shades.
So inspect those lenses before and after each wear, and give your Oakleys a thorough cleaning every couple weeks. Your eyes will thank you!
Also Don’t forget to read on Spot Fake Oakley Sunglasses.
Robert Perry is a leading expert in the world of eyewear. His wealth of experience and unique insight in the realm of gaming glasses, swimming goggles, sunglasses, eyeglasses, and computer glasses has set him apart in the industry.
A keen observer of daily fashion styles and the utility of glasses in various lifestyles, Perry is passionate about empowering individuals with knowledge on eyewear selection. He is known for his thorough, clear, and relatable analysis, making it easier for readers to find the perfect glasses for their specific needs.
Perry’s writings consistently reflect his understanding of both function and fashion, affirming his position as an influential figure in the eyewear community.